Philadelphia Cartoonist Society Pages

Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Art of Healing

As many of you know I am a cancer survivor, now living 3 years cancer free. I am pretty outspoken about it and as a result of my lectures on sketchbooks with the ESLI school I was invited to participate in a wonderful exhibition at the University of the Arts; ‘The Art of Healing’. This is one that is near and dear to my heart. I kept a sketchbook everyday of treatments; I underwent both chemotherapy and radiation at the same time. So for an hour everyday I drew in a book that quickly became dubbed “My Cancer Sketchbook”.

With the aid of that wonderful book I was able to combat my disease. Also, as I entered into recovery I was able to bring it into the classroom and stress the importance of keeping a sketchbook to students of all ages.
So when asked to contribute to this art show I naturally went to the pages of “My Cancer Sketchbook”.
This three (3) color silk-screened print was made possible with the expertise of James Heimer whom I collaborated with on my “Intestinal Fortitude” print. This print was done exclusively for this event and in conjunction with grants I received to design and publish “My Cancer Sketchbook”. I will post more on that project in the following months.
This page has always reminded me of running back and forth to the hospital for therapy and visits to the doctor. Throughout that daily chaos I don’t know if I would have even noticed if King Kong had invaded our skyline.
(Just click on images to enlarge.)

Show Info:
The opening reception will be this Friday, November, 12
th at the University of the Arts located at 333 South Broad Street in Philadelphia.
The Opening Reception from 3 to 5pm in the President’s Office
and will continue in the student-run Gallery One space located
on the lower level of the Hamilton Hall from 5 to 7pm.
This art exhibition will feature the work of students and faculty “embracing the powerful connection between art and healing.”

2 comments:

  1. What time does your KYW interview air!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your work translates BEAUTIFULLY into silk screen. Great Kong print!

    ReplyDelete