Philadelphia Cartoonist Society Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

More Brush Drawings

My experience with the Pentel Pocket Brush pen (highly recommended, by the way) has led me to try drawing with an honest-to-goodness sable brush. Specifically, the Series 7 sable brushes from Windsor & Newton. My lines don't quite have the polish of a Jeff Smith or Charles Burns, but already they are more expressive than what I ever got from my Microns. Besides, despite the initial difficulty in use, inking in brush is great fun.

I'm using brush sizes 0, 2 and 3 on vellum bristol board from Bee. I like the tooth of this paper better than the Strathmore 300 series that has recently seemed to drop in quality.

This set includes head studies for a character in Journeymen as well as a hero pose from one of the leads. Also, I've added a random sketch where I tried my hand at a wash for shading.

And again no--not quite the polish of a Jeff Smith or Charles Burns. But I'll get there. Enjoy.

Posted via email from Coffeeroll

No comments:

Post a Comment