Philadelphia Cartoonist Society Pages

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Historic Trauma Cases # 3 by Jeffro

Recently I was given assignments to draw Steve Allen and Frédéric François Chopin for my job at Advance News Magazines. I thought it was interesting, both being piano players. I know very little about Steve Allen aside from the Tonight Show and the CDs I have with him playing as Jack Kerouac recites poetry. Steve is finished here in the style of all the other Historic Trauma illustrations...


I know even less of Chopin, but I like how intense he looks in the one known photograph that was thought to be taken in 1849, the year of his death. I referenced that photo, which can be found all over the internet. This drawing is still in its rough stages, but I wanted to give an early stage of the process before I pretty him up with ink and color. So this is Frederic as he now sits in my Moleskine sketchbook, waiting to become a final draft. This is usually what my final pencil sketches look like before I get feedback and approval from editorial staff...


I think I have John Lennon coming up in the next couple months. That will be some fun drawing time.

2 comments:

  1. Really diggin' that Chopin illo. For me, the hair is the real standout element. How do you like drawing in those Moleskin sketchbooks?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanx, JPDJ. I like the Moleskines. I'm into the off-white paper. It has a nostalgic feel for me. Plus I like the thickness of the paper. I can sketch on both sides with ink without thinking about bleedthrough, etc. Plus, these sized books, around 5" x 8" are just the right size for finishing small, manageable drawings.

    ReplyDelete